Tuesday, November 30, 2010

did you say pop culture?

Pop culture plays a big role on everything, especially dancing. Think about what genre of dance use to be the most "popular". For the longest time it was ballet. Ballet will always be well respected, but its not what everyone wants to master now. In 2010 its mostly about hip-hop and contemporary. WHY? because of the music we listen to, the shows we watch on TV. Rarely will you see a music video without backup hip hop dancers or go to a concert and say to yourself "I want to be on that stage behind Rhianna one day"! One of the most popular shows on TV is SYTYCD. That show focus on mainstream dancing. I have never seen a ballet or tap piece performed.

By way of style, I feel I can pick a dancer out of any crowd. Its gone very edgy when it comes to hairstyle and clothes and I think its because you see celebrities, and someone's always got something different about them, and to get hired thats what you need....something different. Your not going to get hired if you blend in with the crowd.

When it comes to me personally as a dancer, I definitely am a victim of pop culture. I watch SYTYCD religiously and want to be that girl on stage one day. I blame it partially on growing up in a studio being a competitive dancer, mainly jazz hip-hop tap and lyrical. I never took ballet to seriously. I haven't figured out why yet though, its between me not being good at it (because I never took it seriously), me knowing I could never be a ballerina because of my body type, or it just wasn't the "cool thing". I tend to like what im good at (which is jazz) but coming back to pop culture, even thats become extremely mainstream and a classical jazz piece is very rare found.

No comments:

Post a Comment